The Dukan Diet, also called the Portal Diet, was created by the French medical doctor Pierre Dukan. This is a four-step diet based on natural proteins. The initial phase involves a drastic change in your nutrition. You’ll eat few calories and will start losing weight fast. During the second phase, you will alternate between consuming pure proteins and a combination of proteins and vegetables. The third phase consolidates your successes. You should follow the fourth phase for the rest of your life. Here are some of the diet principles.
Phase 1 is one of the pure proteins. Eat as much as you want of the following categories: (with some exceptions, you’ll have to get a book to follow this diet) organ meats, lean meat, skinless poultry, ham and cold cuts, eggs, fish, seafood, and low-fat dairy products. Also eat only sugar soft drinks, coffee, tea, infusions, vinegar, pickles, chewing gum, and mustard. Drink six glasses of liquids a day. This phase usually lasts for five days.
During Phase 2 alternate between five days of pure proteins and five days combining proteins and vegetables. There is a long list of permitted vegetables, which may be eaten raw or cooked. Use spices, fat-free yoghurt, vinegar, or mustard on your vegetables but stay away from oil.
Start Phase 3 when you have reached your desired weight. This phase lasts 10 days for each kilogram (2.2 pounds) of weight lost. Continue alternating as in Phase 2 but add a serving of fruit every day. Stay away from grapes, bananas, cherries, and dried fruits. Eat two slices of whole-grain bread daily. Eat 40 grams of cooked rind cheese such as Gouda daily. Eat two portions of starchy food weekly. Once or twice a week eat boiled ham, leg of lamb, or roast pork. You may celebrate by eating whatever you want with a glass of wine twice a week, but not the same day. And no seconds are allowed. Once a week eat a pure protein meal as in Phase 1.
Phase 4 is the final stabilization phase. Once a week eat a pure protein meal. Eat 3 tablespoons of oat bran daily.
- The Dukan Diet is said to rarely make you hungry. Disadvantages include the necessity of following it closely. Phase 1 lacks vitamins, and all phases are lacking in lipids. You may have to take dietary supplements.
Sample menu for Dukan Diet
Menu 1 (Phase 1)
- Breakfast: 2 fat-free yoghurts. 2 slices of turkey. Tea.
- Lunch: Steak tartar. Veal chop. Cafe au lait. Your mid-afternoon snack is a fat-free yoghurt and a slice of chicken.
- Supper: Smoked salmon. Mussels marinieres. A yoghurt.
Menu 2 (Phase 3)
- Breakfast: 2 slices of whole-grain bread with butter. A slice of ham. Coffee.
- Lunch: Green salad. Mushroom omelette. Stuffed tomatoes. A fat-free yoghurt. Your mid-afternoon snack is an apple.
- Supper: Leg of lamb. Green beans. 40 grams (about 1.3 ounces) of Gouda cheese.